Here is some helpful information about your Real Estate Tax Payments:
1) Your tax bill is divided into four payments. The bottom stubs are for the 3rd and 4th quarter payments of the current year and the top stubs are for the 1st and 2nd quarter payments (estimated) of the following year. The color of the tax bill will also change yearly.
2) Taxes are due February 1, May 1, August 1, and November 1 of each year. There is a 10 day grace period before interest is added.
3) Interest is calculated at 8% for the 1st $1,500.00 that is delinquent and 18% for any amount above that. If you owe more than $10,000.00 including interest by December 31st, a 6% ‘Year End Penalty’ will also be added.
4) As needed, the Tax Office will mail delinquent notices to you as a reminder. However, interest charges have already been added and must be paid. Interest amounts change daily so it is important that you call the Tax Office for the current up-to-date amount that is owed, otherwise, your account will be left with an open principal balance.
5) By mid-November of the current year, if you have any unpaid delinquent taxes due from the previous year, your property will be subject to a Tax Sale and a lien may be placed on your home or property.
Remember, it is your responsibility to pay your Real Estate Taxes on time. By law, the Tax Office must collect interest on delinquencies. If you need assistance in understanding the breakdown of your tax bill, please do not hesitate to visit the Tax Office at Borough Hall or call (201-342-1736 ext. 229) and I will be more than happy to assist you.
Betty Wiemer, Tax Collector
HOURS: MONDAY – THURSDAY 7:30AM – 4:30PM
FRIDAY 7:30AM – 12PM